Share Your Love
Philanthropy comes in many sizes, shapes and forms. Here at UMC, gifts of any amount have a tremendous impact right here in our Midcoast communities.
With a history of local grantmaking spanning more than 78 years, UMC supports dozens of organizations and causes that matter to people like you. This past year, UMC donors provided critical funding to more than 50 nonprofit organizations addressing the basic needs of food, shelter, health & safety, and economic security. More than 27,000 residents of Knox and Waldo counties benefited from the generosity of our donors.
Contributing to UMC is the best way to support for your friends and neighbors in the Midcoast during these trying times.
A gift of Cash
Giving in this way, you can help others while potentially reducing your income tax.
A gift of Stock and other Appreciated Assets
Contributing assets owned for longer than one year allows you to receive a charitable deduction equal to their current value and avoid capital gains taxes. Contact your broker and ask them to transfer the stock to UMC at National Financial Services/Commonwealth Financial Network
DTC # 0226, Account # H2Y229752. Please let us know the transfer is underway.
A gift through your Will or as a Beneficiary of your Retirement Account
Consider including United Midcoast Charities in your will or living trust. You can bequeath a fixed amount, a specific asset or a percentage of your estate and qualify for estate deductions. And consider including UMC as a beneficiary of your new or existing life insurance policy or retirement plan (IRA, Roth IRS, 401k, etc.)
A gift made through a Charitable Trust or Annuity
By creating a charitable remainder trust or gift annuity, you can provide life income for yourself and/or others. By directing all or a portion of your gift eventually to UMC, you could receive a charitable income tax deduction.
Contributions through Payroll Deduction
Someone said that “payroll deduction is like Novocain: it’s painless!” To develop a payrol deduction plan, UMC will visit with your company’s management and employees to explain the program. Once management approves the plan, employees who wish to participate will fill out and sign enrollment forms to indicate how much they would like to deduct. It’s that easy.
A Matching Donation from your Employer
Many companies offer matching gift programs to encourage employees to make charitable contributions. Most of these programs match contributions dollar for dollar, and some will even double or triple the amount of your gift! Ask your employer today if they offer matching gifts.
Contributions to UMC’s Endowment
A founding principle of UMC is that 100% of all donations are distributed to the community. The funds in our Endowment make this possible by paying for our modest overhead expenses. To contribute to the Endowment, simply note this in your donation correspondence.
IRA Charitable Distributions
You may give up to $100,000 to charity directly from your individual retirement account (IRA) when you are over age 70 ½ without counting the distribution as taxable income. This type of charitable gift is called a Qualified Charitable Distribution (QCD). Contact your advisor for details on how to use this tax efficient gifting method.
Set up a Monthly Donation
Distributing your charitable contribution over 12 months allows you to budget for your giving and provides a steady stream of support for UMC. You can set up monthly donations in any amount through PayPal or your bank’s online bill-pay. If you need help setting this up, call us at 207-236-2299.
Shop online at AmazonSmile
Even last-minute shoppers can do a little good. Start your Amazon shopping at www.smile.amazon.com, select United Midcoast Charities as your beneficiary, and we will receive a percentage of all your purchases directly from Amazon! Go to: www.smile.amazon.com.
Your time, whether you give an hour, a day, or a regular commitment, can be a great gift to a local nonprofit. If you need help finding a direct service agency to volunteer with, we can connect you to one of our many grantees. Call us to share your interests at 207-236-2299.
Host a Party for a Good Cause
Host a gathering and invite us to talk about our work addressing the most basic needs in our community. It’s a great way to inform your friends and neighbors about an important cause.
We make giving easy, too. The secure online donation form below allows you to select a one-time gift in any amount or you can choose to give a monthly donation. (You can also make a gift in honor of a friend or loved one by choosing “Yes” where our form indicates “This gift if a tribute.”) Regardless, we’ll send you a confirmation via email to assure you that your donation has been received.
THANK YOU FOR MAKING U.M.C. YOUR MIDCOAST PHILANTHROPY PARTNER!
How To Make Stock Donations
There are many ways to make a gift to UMC!
Here are a few ideas:
- Donations via cash or check
- Donated Stock – Make a bigger impact by donating long-term appreciated securities, including stock, bonds, and mutual funds, directly to UMC. Compared with donating cash, or selling your appreciated securities and contributing the after-tax proceeds, you may be able to automatically increase your gift and your tax deduction.
- Employer-Matched Donations – Many companies offer matching gift programs to encourage employees to contribute to charitable organizations. Some provide matching funds to support employee volunteer hours. Most of these programs match contributions dollar for dollar, and some will even double or triple the amount of your gift! Ask your employer today if they offer matching gifts!
- IRA Charitable Distributions – In December 2015, Congress passed a law allowing you to give up to $100,000 to charity directly from your individual retirement account (IRA) when you are over 70 1/2 years old without counting the distribution as taxable income. This type of charitable gift is called a Qualified Charitable Distribution (QCD).
- Make a gift through a charitable trust or annuity — Creating a charitable trust or annuity provides life income for yourself and/or others. With all or a portion of your gift eventually directed to UMC, you could receive a charitable deduction.
- Leave a Legacy in your Will – You may wish to consider including United Midcoast Charities in your will or living trust. In this way, a fixed amount, specific asset or percentage of your estate may be set aside as bequests and qualify for estate deductions and leave a lasting legacy in your name.
- Shop online at AmazonSmile – Start your amazon shopping at smile.amazon.com and select United Midcoast Charities as your beneficiary and we will receive a percentage directly from Amazon!
- Ask for gifts to UMC for your birthday or other special days – facebook fundraisers are great for this!
- Throw a Party for a good cause – Host a gathering and invite us to come talk about our work! It’s a great way to share an important cause with your friends and neighbors.